Analysis of the Colum Teaching political science in the age of Trump

   

Ø  Position or pint of view
An awful lot of the program focuses on what President Trump means for world politics. Increasingly, however, I am wondering how the 45th president affects teaching political science in the classroom.
Ø  An argument
Teaching this class during the age of Trump has been a fascinating experience. There are many instances in which this administration’s behavior has been different from prior administrations in degree rather than in kind.
People left prior administrations because of petty scandals or substantive policy disputes. People leave this one for similar reasons, with the added frisson of disagreeing with the president about, say, white nationalists.
Ø  An explanation
For example, it’s not that shocking that a president marginalizes policy principals who publicly air disagreements. On that dimension, Trump is different primarily in the source of the public disputes.
An agreement
African politics. When I ask students for examples of neopatrimonialism I allow them to use US examples. I actually like it because it makes governance issues seem less exotic (how’s that for a silver lining?)
I used the Trump admin example just yesterday in our discussion of neopatrimonialism, hybrid regimes, and how presidentialism can be used to reduce the relevance of formal political constraints even where they seem strong...in my African Politics class too.

Ø  A description
It comes down to whether one believes that Trump has actually managed to alter political gravity, or whether Trump has made bad choices and we are therefore “off the equilibrium path,” as they say in game-theory circles. We won’t know this politically until the midterms, and we won’t know it substantively for longer than that.
Ø  A summary
have to throw up my hands and acknowledge that the current president is not acting in a sensible way. This isn’t an ideological point; it’s that, even if you take Trump’s preferences and try to maximize them, he has seemed to sabotage himself repeatedly. Or maybe it’s that Trump does not have fixed and frozen preferences. It’s a mystery!
Ø  An introduction
An awful lot of the program focuses on what President Trump means for world politics. Increasingly, however, I am wondering how the 45th president affects teaching political science in the classroom.
Ø  Background information and a conclusion.
poiler Alerts will be spending the rest of this week attending the 2018 International Studies Association meetings. Panels will be attended, badges will be examined, drinks will be quaffed, and if I’m very, very lucky there will be the occasional flash of insight or two from listening to smart people.

Comentarios

Entradas populares de este blog

Reflection about the stereotypes

Summary of the talk given by Dr. Stephen Brookfield about Creative and Critical Thinking